[Mitgcm-support] MITgcm ice model

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:49:36 EDT 2003

Tom:

>> 1. Can the seaice pkg be used with exf and cal?

No.  The two packages are not yet integrated.

>>    Are there plans for this? (I currently use these packages).

Yes.  It is on my list of things to do.  This will probably happen before the
end of the year.

An example of current hack for multi-year integrations with present code is
that of Experiment 5 in verification/lab_sea/README.  In the data file you
specify the integration period, for example, for a 2-year integration:

   startTime=0.0,
   endTime=63158400.,

and in the data.sea-ice file you specify:

   StartingYear      = 1979.
   EndingYear        = 1980.

The forcing files are yearly files and must end with integration year (4
digits, except for u10m and v10m which use 2 digits), for example:

  evap.labsea1980
   flo.labsea1980
   fsh.labsea1980
 prate.labsea1980
    qa.labsea1980
  tair.labsea1980
    u10m.labsea80
    v10m.labsea80

>> 2. I'm confused by your README comments for expt3: what do you mean about
>> periodic domains and parallelization not being correct?

There are some numerical issues with both dynamic solvers, which have been
included with the code.  Jinlun and I, and now also MIT, are committed to
fixing those as soon as we can, but it could take as long as four to six
months before we come up with a clean solution.  For the time being I suggest
that you use the ADI solver with NPSEUDO=10 (the default).  Depending on
domain configuration, the numerical, sea-ice-velocity inaccuracies at the tile
edges will be about 1% (Experiment 4 in verification/lab_sea/README).

>> 3. Fig. 1 in your seaice.ps is interesting. Do you have ideas why the ice
>> damps the MOC?

No.  That stuff was written about a year ago and was very preliminary.  And I
have not found time to go back and look at that solution in detail.  The
forcing of the two integrations were very different, one was NCEP fluxes and
the other was bulk formulae with sea-ice ...

Dimitris

P.S. There is a minor update to sea-ice package, which you can get from MIT
anonymous CVS server (http://mitgcm.org/usingcvstoget.html):

   cvs co -r release1_p9 MITgcm

Dimitris Menemenlis                      menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Lab, MS 300-323           tel: 818-354-1656
4800 Oak Grove Dr, Pasadena CA 91109     fax: 818-393-6720