[Mitgcm-support] Re: SRAND in the mitgcm

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:49:32 EDT 2003

Olivier,

 In general you can e-mail support at mitgcm.org
 and search the news group

  news://mitgcm.org/mitgcm.support

 and also look at http://mitgcm.org

 Specifcally
 srand() must be a system call that gives and random
 number. I think its part of the C math library and may
 not be found by the Fortran compiler on all machines.

 % man 3f srand

 on my RH6.2 Linux machine tells you lots
 about it. You will need something equivalent if the
 machine/compiler you have doesn't include that library. The
 mitgcm code comes with a thing called port_rand(), portrand(),
 or something somewhere. Do a find/grep in the source
 directories and it should show up.
 You can use that as an alternative, but I don't remember
 exactly what to do. Take a look and e-mail support
 if you can't figure it out.

Chris