[Mitgcm-support] FW: flux calcs table

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:48:24 EDT 2003

-----Original Message-----
From: Chris Hill [mailto:cnh at plume.mit.edu]
Sent: Monday, December 16, 2002 1:03 AM
To: 'cheisey at ocean.mit.edu'
Cc: 'support at mitgcm.org'; 'menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov'
Subject: next steps....

Hi Curt,

I have put together a table of fields that are available to support
air-sea flux calculations in exf/ seaice/ and in the combined ocean+KPP.
The table is at

http://mitgcm.org/projects/cple/index.htm

The table contains multiple possible fields that could be used. For a
particular experimental configuration only certain fields will be used.

Heres what I think you should do once the rough notes on the current
setup and the CS matlab stuff are archive is done.

1. compile and run global_with_exf. Don't worry about the output, just
make sure all the code is there. 2. reconfigure the global_with_exf code
for a short test run on the cs with flux datasets that you already have
from Alistair. The grid and bathymetry and initial conditions etc...
should all come from the cs setup. 3. probably the long-run
configuration to go for is with fluxes from files i.e. not yet
calculated on the fly from wind velocity/speed and atmospheric
temperature (this is what we were doing with the bulkf code from steph).
The latter is what we really want but the global_with_exf is not done
that way. Can you corner Alistair and Patrick to check the plan here.
Patrick mentioned a configuration which works from raw atmospheric state
and employs bulk formula, but I can't find it in the CVS repo. If it
looks like the raw atmospheric state setup is sound then it might be as
easy to start from that - Alistair's advice would be useful on this,
there are some things missing from exf (e.g. radiative equilibrium
calculations) that would be needed for a true raw atmosphere setup, but
many pieces are there. Note - because CS includes Arctic ocean you need
to make sure the temperature clamping at T > -1.9 is switched on in exf/
(I think that is the default).
4. start the long-run setup from 3!

As you do this, can you compare against the table above and see if there
are other fields you are using to interface between the different parts.
If there are let me know and I will add them.

Chris