[Mitgcm-support] Re: next checkpoint

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:47:41 EDT 2003

Chris Hill wrote:
> Do the c37 tests pass with c37_adj?

Yes. The only reason there was some doubt is that the testscript
in the main branch isn't able to avoid the AIM package which we
know is broken.

> It looks like 13 .F files in model/src need to be sorted out.

I don't see any major problem with the merge - just that we need
to resolve some details: namely one name and a few oddities about
writing to STDERR and initialization.

My view on c37_adj -> c38
=========================

The majority of changes in c37_adj are insertion of key calculations.

The only awkward issue with merging for c38 is that the new routine
"the_main_sens" has a name that is so TAMC that no one else using
the model will know what is going on. the_main_sens is a
joining of the_main_loop & forward_step which were split on
request by the ECCO group. I actually don't care whether it is
split or not but the name has to change. It does, however, seem
odd that a *very* natural and convenient splitting of the main loop
breaks the adjoint. I had envisioned passing forward_step.F arguments
(U,V,T,S). We obviously need to understand this.

Other minor issues:
ini_wvel: new - in pre38 we are initializing (U,V) in ini_vel.F
          and then immediately call integrate_for_w.F which allows
          for non-zero initial W. ini_wvel should then be unnecessary.
initialize_varia: disable convection for TAMC? Changes forward solution?
          This isn't good and needs to be resolved.
solve_for_pressure: disable writing of residual to STDERR!!!
          I made this change in anticipation of sorting out some
          better diagnostics but of course problem interfered with the
          "self-adjoint" business. Probably trivial to resolve.
dynamics: KPPvisc etc are initialized if not using KPP. Since they
          aren't used this seems like a TAMC quirk. Doesn't change
          anything but seems like an ugly hack and would be nice to
          clean up.

If you read "notes_c37_adj.txt" it is all documented.