[Mitgcm-support] RE: Dr Knudsen I presume

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:47:30 EDT 2003

Hi Tor,

 I hope EGS went well.

The 16 levels are certainly good for large scale
global problems. I think they should be pretty good for most places of the
ocean, however, for some anomalous local regions, however,
all our small scale convection is linear EOS stuff - energy conservation et.
al go to pieces for a non-linear EOS.

You might want to check them out

Bryan, K., and M. D. Cox, 1972: An approximate equation of state for
numerical models of ocean circulation. Journal of Physical Oceanography,
2(4), 510-514.

which has plots of the validity of the scheme.

You could easily customize Tmin, Tmax and Smin/Smax for your region
if you want to improve accuracy. We have never investigated
adding extra "sample" points in the vertical. My intuition would be
that if this makes a big difference, then you should probably
be using the full equation not the least-squares fit. Of course
we don't have any setups with the full equation integrated
into the code!!!!

 You might also want to worry about Knudsen versus the modern full EOS.
That could be significant in convection regions.

Chris