[Mitgcm-support] more KPP questions

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:47:12 EDT 2003

Hi,

I just browsed the questions about KPP of the last year. Some of these
questions are relevant to me, so I'll asked them again, hoping that for
some of these issues there are already answers. I need KPP in
conjunction with
---GMredi, for that I plan to steal the parameters from the natl_box
experiment, or the lab_sea experiment (although that's not quite as
succesful as I had hoped)
---passive tracer advection, and because my tracers are going to be
biological quantities, I probably need a positive multidimensional
advection scheme, e.g. the 2nd order flux limited scheme (btw, how do I
turn that on? tracerAdvScheme=2,77?, multiDimAdvection=.TRUE.?)
---passive tracer advection with KPP. I noticed that Tom's remark about
STOP 'GAD_CALC_RHS: Ooops' is still valid. Has anyone got a fix for that
already? Should look exactly like kpp_transport_s.F except for the
surfaceTendencyS term and kappaRS, shouldn't it?
---most likely non-hydrostatic code (Jean-Michel, how are the non-linear
free surface + non-hydrostatic code efforts? z^*?)

Will these components work with KPP? I am not sure, but it would save me
a lot of time if anyone can tell what should already work and what
shouldn't (GMredi+passive tracers+multidimensional positive advection
scheme+KPP+non-hydrostatic).

Right now, I am playing with KPP with the global_ocean.90x40x15
experiment (i.e., without all these fancy add-ons) but the model
explodes after 20 timesteps, after the Southern Ocean becomes vertically
homogeneous. Before this homogenization spreads across the equator, the
model says "boom", with or without GM, looped cells, no_slip conditions.
Is is foolish to use KPP with the coarse vertical resolution in this
experiment (surface layer is 50m)? Do I need to modify the time step for
KPP?
(I have increased the overlap OLx,OLy to 4, or alternatively set #define
FRUGAL_KPP, btw, what does that stand for? "frugal" in German is some
sort of vegetable stock/broth)