[Mitgcm-support] Re: model comparison

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:46:06 EDT 2003

Detlef et al.,

The main difference is that (U,V) is staggered in time with
(S,T) in the old model and they are synchronous in the new
model. We did this to allow us to consolidate the communication
to one place (do_gterm_blocking.F). When we've made these
comparisons in the past we normally re-arrange the old code
to synchronous. I think the offset in salt is due to this.
Don't understand why rigid-lid fixes it!

There are quite a few other changes some of which are marked
with CPP flags in the new code (such as OLD_ADV_BCS) but we
haven't used them for sometime - the new model is different
in discretization of some terms like boundary conditions
and calculation of some grid geometry. There are undoubtedly
others which are not marked. I don't remember when we last
did a backwards comparison but it was way back probably
in the single digit checkpoints.

Oh, one other difference is the units have changed!

Alistair.