[Mitgcm-support] Wish list for patch5+

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:46:01 EDT 2003

Patrick, I am appending suggestions for next patch of release1.
The suggestions deal with removal of outdated comments from the code.

thermodynamics: following comments are out of date and misleading

C     | "Correction Step"
C     | =================
C     | Here we update the horizontal velocities with the surface
C     | pressure such that the resulting flow is either consistent
C     | with the free-surface evolution or the rigid-lid:
C     |   U[n] = U* + dt x d/dx P
C     |   V[n] = V* + dt x d/dy P

C     |   Gu[n] = Gu( u[n], v[n], wVel, b, ... )
C     |   Gv[n] = Gv( u[n], v[n], wVel, b, ... )

C     |   U* = U[n] + dt x ( 3/2 Gu[n] - 1/2 Gu[n-1] )
C     |   V* = V[n] + dt x ( 3/2 Gv[n] - 1/2 Gv[n-1] )

thermodynamics: results are now stored in gT, gS, not gTnm1, gSnm1, etc.

C--      Calculate active tracer tendencies (gT,gS,...)
C        and step forward storing result in gTnm1, gSnm1, etc.

dynamics: lots of out-of-date comments here too

the_correction_step: these comments are inconsistent with code

C     | Tracers:
C     |           T(n) = Gt(n-1)
C     |           Gt(n-1) = Gt(n)

C     |  T* (contained in gTnm1) is copied to T (theta)
C     |  S* (contained in gSnm1) is copied to S (salt)

cycle_tracer: gTrNm1 is not cycled here anymore

     U                   tracer, gTracer, gTrNm1,

     tracer, gTracer, gTrNm1      :: Tracer field, with tendencies

      _RL gTrNm1 (1-OLx:sNx+OLx,1-OLy:sNy+OLy,Nr,nSx,nSy)

C     Rotate tracer/gTracer/gTrNm1