[Mitgcm-support] Re: Release1 branch

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:42:21 EDT 2003

Chris Hill wrote:
>  it seems like you'll need to spend a lot time just to make it look like
>  release1-beta1 was on release1-branch. i don't think anyone will ever care
>  either way will they?

This is how simple it is to do it the right way. It takes about 5 minutes.

# Check-out branch
cvs co -d R1 -r release1 -P MITgcm
# Confirm it corresponds to beta1
cd R1
cvs -q -n update -r release1_beta1
 (no output, good)
# Merge changes made on "release1-branch"
cvs -q update -jrelease1-branch:"12:45 11 Jan 2002" -jrelease1-branch -d -P

U tutorial_examples/.cvsignore
U tutorial_examples/baroclinic_gyre_on_a_sphere/.cvsignore
U tutorial_examples/baroclinic_gyre_on_a_sphere/README
U tutorial_examples/baroclinic_gyre_on_a_sphere/code/.cvsignore

# Check it in
#cvs commit
 Comment: Creating "tutorials" tutorial_examples/ which are based
 on corresponding configurations in verification/ but which run for
 useful (longer) times.
 Note: only two examples have demo output and one of these is
 missing an input file. We will fix this shortly.

But indeed, this doesn't look like "release1-branch" because the latter
has only "some" of the changes between c43 and c44 while "release1" has
none - which it won't until we agree to make a beta2.

And as to who cares: you had a heated argument before the ECCO meeting
in the door way to my office triggered by the lack of checkpoints and
release1-branch fails to meet any standard of order and documentation.

A.