[Mitgcm-support] RE: Porting code to IBM p690

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:41:49 EDT 2003

Several things:

1) What does the variable FLAGS do in the SP3 and SP4 sections of genmake?

2) What does uname and uname -m return on these SP2,3 and 4 machines?

3) Why is -platform=something preferred to automatic recognition?

4) Why is there both a TARGET_SGI and TARGET_PWR3?

5) Why is there a "GOTO" in eeset_parms.F to deal with TARGET_PWR3!!!!?
Doesn't everyone know that GOTO's are banned in this beautifully written
code?

6) Can I suggest a generic AIX environment like this:

  case AIX:
    echo "Configuring for IBM AIX environment"
    set SOURCEDIRS  = ( ./ $SOURCEDIRS )
    set LN         = ( 'ln -s' )
    set DEFINES    = ( ${DEFINES} '-DTARGET_SP -DWORDLENGTH=4' )
    set INCLUDES   = ( '-I/usr/lpp/ppe.poe/include' )
    set FC         = ( 'mpxlf95' )
    set LINK       = ( 'mpxlf95' )
    set FOPTIM     = ( '-O3 -qcache=auto -qmaxmem=-1 -bmaxdata:0x80000000' )
    set FFLAGS     = ( '-qfixed=132' )
    set LDFLAGS    = ( '' )
    set LIBS       = ( '-L/usr/local/apps/mass -lmass' )
    set RMFILES    = ( 'rii_files' )
    breaksw

  And use TARGET_SP instead of TARGET_PWR3?

A.