[Mitgcm-support] Re: OBC ?

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:41:43 EDT 2003

Hello Alistair,

> > I had a quick look to OBC changes between c33 and c35 :
> > -> some "apply_OBC" have been deleted
> >      in c33 : T,S + gTnm1,dSnm1
> > but  in c35 : only gTnm1,dSnm1
>
> Don't understand what you're saying. There was a CALL APPLY_OBCS1
> after CORRECTION_STEP at k=1, another for k+1 if k<Nr at k=1
> and a third at k+1 for k=2:Nr if k<Nr. All this counts as
> one call to APPLY_OBCS1. There was one call to APPLY_OBCS3
> in the k=Nr:1 loop acting on rVel and rTrans and one call
> to APPLY_OBCS2 after TIMESTEP in the same loop.

Sorry, I did not read the right routine !

Anyway, it seems to me that we need to call "OBS_APPLY_TS'
after doing the exchange.
I propose to Samars to test this and its now running.
We will have the answer tomorrow.

Concerning "the computation domain of W", it was simply to
say that its better now (after you change integrate_for_W
yesterday) than before.

> > rVel (in calc_commomn_fact & dynamics) can be deleted,
> > but this could be done after checkpoint_35
>
> Do it now before we forget.

I will remove "rVel" now and check in just after.

And convcerning the I/O and "forward_step.F", I don't
know (to maintain backward compatibility ?), and do nothing
for the moment.

Good news : I do 1 month + 1 month (config hs94.128x64x5)
and get the same as 2 months !

Will try to compare a run of 1 month (or longer) on DEC
and on Linux to see if it is OK.

See you,

Jean-Michel