[Mitgcm-support] Re: pkg/seaice and pkg/exf

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:39:56 EDT 2003

>> (i) I'd appreciate you writing a pickup_seaice.chkpt file: what use is the
>> pickup.chkptA file without the seaice fields?  For one, I use these files
>> routinely.

OK done.  It's checked in the release1 branch.

>> (ii) It's rather inconvenient for joinpickup not to work with the seaice
>> pickups. Unless there's a policy to phase out parallel I/O it seems like a
>> backwards step not to maintain the join utility

I have never used the joinpickup so I can't help you there.

>> (or change seaice_pickup.F).  If parallel I/O is to be phased out I'd
>> appreciate a startup error message that stops the code if seaice is on but
>> singleCpuIO is off.

There is nothing wrong with seaice_pickup.F.  It works both with multi-file or
with single-file I/O in the ecaxt same way as checkpoint.F.  It's just that
the number of sea-ice variables is different from the standard pickup files.
If you run on the same number of CPUs all the time, there is no need to join
the pick-up files, just rename to their appropriate permanent checkpoint name.

Dimitris

Dimitris Menemenlis                      menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Lab, MS 300-323           tel: 818-354-1656
4800 Oak Grove Dr, Pasadena CA 91109     fax: 818-393-6720