[Mitgcm-support] a numerical problem?

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:30:06 EDT 2003

Hello

In my experiments with MITgcm I tried to run the code without any external
strengths (such as wind stress or density gradient or pressure
fields...),with initial conditions (velocity fields, eta, fluxes..) equal to
zero, adiabatic process and I find that the surface and the velocity field
are different from zero after two iterations.
This happens near the boundary where there is a strong slope in the
batimetry. The same result came out from an experiment of a simple box with
a step in the batimetry. Only in corrispondence with the step the surface
("eta") is different from initial condition (zero) at the second iteration
(at the first too).
I wonder whether it may be a numerical problem or if there are other causes
(different parameters, packeges..).

Thank you in advance for your help
all the best
Fabiana Cavazzon