[Mitgcm-support] Re: pkg/seaice and pkg/exf

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:41:07 EDT 2003

Hi Tom,

>> (i) when pickup.chkptA is written, there's no pickup_seaice.chkptA.

The only time this situation will occur is in the final checkpoint,
if this happens not to coincide with the chkptFreq

This is because sea-ice checkpoint is done internally by the sea-ice
model, and there is no provision for:
C--   Final checkpoint (incase the in-loop checkpoint was missed)

That can be changed, if you like.  But it's easier to just specify
the appropriate chkptFreq and/or pChkptFreq in the data file.

>> (ii) Also, I get:
>>
>> PGFIO-F-253/unformatted read/unit=9/attempt to read non-existent record
>> (direct access).
>>  File name = pickup_seaice.0000026280    unformatted, direct access
>> record = 1596
>>  In source file mdsio_readfield.f, at line number 1651

I have not used joinpickup but my guess is that it would need to be modified
for pickup_seaice files, since the internal structure is different from that
of the other pickup files.

If you use MPI, you can just set:

globalFiles    = .TRUE.
useSingleCpuIO = .TRUE.

in the data file and do the joining on the fly.
You would be left with a lot fewer files to worry about.

D.

Dimitris Menemenlis                      menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Lab, MS 300-323           tel: 818-354-1656
4800 Oak Grove Dr, Pasadena CA 91109     fax: 818-393-6720