[Mitgcm-support] Re: KPP (c30) bug

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:39:27 EDT 2003

Chris and Alistair, I am in the process of comparing c30,
ecco_c30_ralf, and the jpl_mitgcmuv.  As far as KPP package
is concerned, the codes have already started to diverge in
incompatible ways.  I am wondering whether you would consider
modifying packaging slightly to give more control to package
maintainers and minimize interactions of packages with main code.

I suggest following modifications:

1) Package code is included by appending
      #include "PKGX_OPTIONS.h"
   at end of CPP_OPTIONS.h.  File PKGX_OPTIONS.h will usually
   contain flag ALLOW_PKGX and may modify CPP_OPTIONS.h as
   required.

2) Get rid of packages_check.F.  Each package is responsible
   for taking care of its own checks during initialization,
   including CPP flags and presence or absence of other packages.

3) Get rid of data.pkg and packages_init.F.  Each package is
   responsible for setting or unsetting its own use_pkgx flag
   if desired.  (A convenient way to do that is for packages
   to check for presence or absence of file data.pkgx)

If you agree with these changes, I can take care of implementing
in the three codes and sending you updates.

Either way, let me know as soon as possible so I can proceed,
Dimitris