[Mitgcm-support] few comments

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:37:02 EDT 2003

Hi,

I am thinking of checking-in a new package: "land", a simple
land model to work with AIM physics.
it pass my 1+1=2 test and I am starting longer integration,
but I prefer not to wait for good results (might take some time)
before putting this piece of code under CVS.

I have few question/comments:

1) in ptracers_read_checkpoint.F
 only the 1rst tracer is exchanged.
 this will not give a perfect 1+1=2 with 2 tracers or more.

2) also in ptracers_write_checkpoint.F
 not very clear to me why CALL PTRACERS_WRITE_CHECKPOINT is out of the
 BEGIN/END_MASTER and after _BARRIER

3) mdsio_writefield.F
 the 3rd dim which appears in .meta file is always Nr.
 I would prefer nNz (= size really written and passed as argument)
 so that I could use this S/R for the land-pkg output (Number of
  levels for soil is > 1 but < Nr).
 nNz seems also more logical. changing to nNz will not affects meta files
 that are presently written since mdsio_writefield is always called
 with nNz=1 (2-D) or nNz=Nr.

4) in S/R do_the_model_io.F,
 propose to put the "CALL PLOT_FIELD_XYZRL"
 within a "IF (debugMode) THEN / ENDIF" block.
 The main reason is that few people look to those output
 (unless there is a serious bug) and these CALL increase
 significantly the size of the standard output.
 Personally, I always comment out those lines.

See you,

Jean-Michel