[Mitgcm-support] Next ECCO Meeting

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:52:56 EDT 2003

Hi everybody!

Our next ECCO Meeting will be held on Tuesday September 19 at SIO.
The meeting will be in the OAR Conference Room. Since
we have but a full agenda, I suggest that we start at 8:30am and
plan to adjourn around 6pm. A dinner will be served subsequently on
the terrace next to the Revelle Conference room.

Carla Morgenstern at SIO is the local contact person and can help
with accommodations.

The OAR Building is building 8851 on the SIO Campus Map (use
http://www.ucsd.edu/map/vicinity.html and click on SIO).

This meeting is being held at the end of the first ECCO year which gave us time
to complete previous activities. We now need to bring  individual activities
under one umbrella and move quickly into one well-defined and coordinated ECCO
stream of activities.

For that purpose we should review the ECCO goals and summarize ongoing
activities. The main focus of the meeting needs to be on present bottle necks
and to outline an ECCO road map for the next few years. A major issue is the
ongoing development of the ECCO code how we deal with respective issues in the
future. This includes decisions regarding code updates, the ECCO code structure,
documentation, and future responsibilities.

As to the agenda, here is my preliminary first cut. Please send me what ever
comment and suggestion you might have so that I can come up with final plan for
that day. Names listed are tentative and need your agreement.

8:30 Opening

Update on Administrative and Internal Affairs:
- Budget Status
- Personal development at SIO, MIT and SIO
- NASA and NOPP Briefings
- NOPP Hub Discussions
- Computational resources

9:30 - 11:00 Review of ongoing activities.
Listed are discussion leaders:
- Jochem Marotzke: SOC
- Ichiro Fukumori: JPL
- Carl Wunsch: MIT
- Detlef Stammer: SIO
- Bruce Cornuelle: Interaction between ECCO and CORC activities

11:00 - 6:30 Discussion of bottlenecks and ECCO road map

12:00 - 1pm   Working Lunch

11:00 - 2:00 Status and Future Strategy for Model and Technical Developments:

- Patrick Heimbach and Ralf Giering: the ECCO Release and adjoint code
development
- Alistair Adcroft: Model development and model documentation
- Ralf Giering: TAMC developments and future

Input from recent experiences:
- Arne Biastoch: Recent experience with high-res. runs.
- Armin Koehl: Experience with an eddy-resolving adjoint model.
- J. Marotzke/T. Lee/E. Remy: How should we constrain hydrographic data?
- Ichiro/Dimitris: How do we need to treat model errors?
- Victor: barotropic model runs.

2:00 - 5:30 ECCO Science Strategies:

- Summary of Executive meeting:

- Discussion of Plans:

1. Next year:
- global JPL Kalman Filter Solution
- global adjoint 1 degree full WOCE Synthesis
- Regional and global sensitivity studies

2. Next 2-3 years.
Goal 1: 1/4 degree global Assimilation run for 85 - present
Goal 2: 50-year long estimate 1950 to present, 1 degree resolution
Goal 3: near-real time
Goal 4: real-time barotropic runs

3. Public Relations
- ECCO Web page, outreach, data transfer
- ECCO Publications

- Next Meeting Date
- Meeting Wrap-up

6:30 Dinner at IGPP Revelle Room