[Mitgcm-support] Re: SunOS5.7

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:52:48 EDT 2003

Hi Mark,
We are using the mitgcm on SUN machines here at SOC. The problems are
that the newer Sun compilers use a different option syntax to yours, and
also 'cpp' is not in the PATH by default, and the mitgcmuv tool
xmakedepend looks for it as 'cpp'.

Here's how we've overcome the errors you've encountered so far:

Within './tools/genmake' change the following region:

case SunOS:
    set LN         = ( '/usr/bin/ln -s' )
    set CPP        = ( '/usr/ccs/lib/cpp -P' )
    set MAKEDEPEND = ( makedepend )
    set DEFINES    = ( ${DEFINES} '-DTARGET_SUN -DWORDLENGTH=4' )
    set FFLAGS     = ( '-stackvar -explicitpar -vpara -e -u -noautopar
-r8 -fsimple=0' )
    set FOPTIM     = ( '-dalign -O3' )
    set CFLAGS     = ( '-dalign -O3' )
    set NOOPTFLAGS = ( '-dalign -O0' )
    set NOOPTFILES = ( 'barrier.F different_multiple.F
external_fields_load.F ini_vertical_grid.F ini_spherical_polar_grid.F
ini_cori.F mon_printstats_rl.F mon_printstats_rs.F aim_aim2dyn.F
aim_dyn2aim.F aim_aim2dyn_exchanges.F aim_external_fields_load.F
aim_calc_diags.F aim_external_forcing.F aim_do_atmos_physics.F
aim_write_diags.F aim_do_inphys.F ')
    breaksw

The changes I've made are to
MAKEDEPEND (to use SUNs makedepend, /usr/openwin/bin/makedepend on my
machine)
FFLAGS (changed the -xtypemap=... form to the older -r8 form)
Removed the references to -xarch=... in FOPTIM and CFLAGS which set the
processor type to optimise for

You are going to be better off with a cheap linux box than the old sparc
10 you have. A 1.3GHz Athlon will run the model faster than the sparc 10
- we have tried it.  We have single processor Blade 2000 machines that
run a 100x64x22 model at about the same rate as a 1.8GHz Pentium with
the intel compiler.

Hope this helps,
John

John Stark