[Mitgcm-support] RE: kpp

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:43:10 EDT 2003

Hi Martin, so it sounds like your request to use the MIT GCM was well
received.  Congratulations!

Will you be using the sea-ice model?  If yes, could you send me a short
description, one or two sentences is sufficient, of what you plan to do with
it.  The reason I ask is that there is a site review here next week, and I
would like to present a list of people who are using or plan to use the
sea-ice model, as an indication of return on NASA's investment.

Regarding KPP, there is unfortunately no model-specific information, but the
questions you ask are addressed in
   Large et al. 1994, Reviews of Geophysics, 32, 4, pages 363-403

If you are planning to use KPP in conjunction with GM-Redi, then you also need
to have a look at
   Large, Danabasoglu and Doney, J PHYS OCEANOGR 27 (11): 2418-2447 NOV 1997

The dependence on resolution is supposed to be small.  I suggest that you
start with the default parameters and options as set in the release1
pkg/kpp/KPP_OPTIONS.h and pkg/kpp/_readparms.F files.

Cheers, Dimitris

Dimitris Menemenlis                      menemenlis at jpl.nasa.gov
Jet Propulsion Lab, MS 300-323           tel: 818-354-1656
4800 Oak Grove Dr, Pasadena CA 91109     fax: 818-393-6720