[Mitgcm-support] kpp and ptracers

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:36:10 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have a few small things to check in, and wanted to make sure that I
don't interfere with anything:
- kpp_do_diags.F: support multiple record files (analogous to
write_state.F, so far, only global files are written)
- solve_for_pressure.F: reduce the output of cg3d-related stuff to the
monitor frequency, analogous to the cg2d-related output.

- make kpp and ptracers work together, new routine and a few fixes. This
is a little bigger and before I can do that I need to understand the
ptracers/kpp-code correctly:
1) the vertical diffusivity PTRACERS_diffKr is never used, is it?
2) instead gad_calc_rhs is called with KappaRS from thermodynamics via
ptracers_integrate (and for ALLOW_PASSIVE_TRACER, it is KappaRT, very
strange!)
3) the countergradient velocity ghat is the same for all tracers (T,S,...)?
4) has the ptracers package ever been tested? there is no real
verification experiment for that, global_ocean.90x40x15 doesn't count,
does it?

Is there a reason for the missing checkpoint50c_post?

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797