[Mitgcm-support] two questions

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:31:34 EDT 2003

Hi guys!

Long time no see (hear?).  How are things?  I have two modelling
questions I wonder if you could help me out with.

1) Is global mean sea level determined in the MIT implicit free
surface model?  Is global mean sea level meaningful in light of the
model being volume conserving instead of mass conserving?

2) Are there some restrictions on how rapidly vertical mixing
coefficients can vary in depth for vertical mixing processes to be
sensible?  We are encountering noisiness in the upper tropical ocean
that I wonder may be resulting from some sort of numerical
inaccuracies.

Thanks.

-- Ichiro

Ichiro Fukumori                      |         Jet Propulsion Laboratory
e-mail: Ichiro.Fukumori at jpl.nasa.gov |                 Mail Stop 300-323
telephone: +1 (818) 354-6965         |              4800 Oak Grove Drive
fax: +1 (818) 393-6720               | Pasadena, California 91109, U.S.A.