[Mitgcm-support] Re: (no subject)

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:28:21 EDT 2003

Fayosc at aol.com wrote:
> What does this model use to find initial conditions? Is it Kalman Filtering?
> I have been reading all the documentation and cannot find anyhitng about
> this.

MITgcm is a dynamical model which requires initial and boundary conditions
to be specified appropriately for the problem. i.e. you specify them to
define the problem.

Fayosc at aol.com wrote:
> could you please tell me what is the spatial resolution of the MITgcm? Also I
> am not clear as of what data sets it uses. How far back in time does this
> model run? does it use data from Levitus WOD98 or WOD01?

You have to specify the resolution and supply the data to define a "time
period".
IT can use data from any source but you have to convert it into an appropriate
form (i.e. wind stress, heat flux, ...) and format for the model to read.

A.