[Mitgcm-support] OBC ?

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:28:13 EDT 2003

Hello Alistair,

I had a quick look to OBC changes between c33 and c35 :
-> some "apply_OBC" have been deleted
     in c33 : T,S + gTnm1,dSnm1
but  in c35 : only gTnm1,dSnm1
-> 2 values were reset for u or v , e.g.: u(I) and u(I-1) at W_obc
but only 1 in c35 obc_apply_UV.

on the other hand, 1 call to obc_apply_TS after "implidif"
shoud be enough (instead of one before + one after).

Could we try to see if c35 with larger "obc_apply" can
give better results with Samar experiment ?
(I have the impression that exp4 is not strick enought to
validate OBC in all cases ?)

I have also noticed that the computation domain of W
was not strictly compatible with other part of dynamics.F
=> fixed with the recent changes.

rVel (in calc_commomn_fact & dynamics) can be deleted,
but this could be done after checkpoint_35

the position of the "do_I/O" in forward_step.F is not very "logical",
and can be changed in the future (this point can be added at the end
of the list_of_change).

See you,

Jean-Michel