[Mitgcm-support] problems with periodic boundary conditions?

mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org mitgcm-support at dev.mitgcm.org
Wed Jul 9 15:21:02 EDT 2003

Hi,

I have set up a zonally periodic channel, in which I want to create
instabilities. I use the linear implicit free surface. In order to avoid
boundary effects, I have tried a run in which I removed the northern and
southern wall as well: double periodic domain. But now the mean sea
surface (dynstat_eta_mean) fluctuates with an amplitude of 40m (5000m
total water depth). Also the tracers are no longer conserved.
Has anyone seen this behavior before? What is going on?

Martin Losch
Alfred Wegener Institute for Polar and Marine Research
Postfach 120161, 27515 Bremerhaven, Germany;
Tel./Fax: ++49(0471)4831-1872/1797