[MITgcm-support] orlanski open boundary conditions

Martin Losch mlosch at awi-bremerhaven.de
Tue Dec 2 07:32:38 EST 2003

Hi,

is there any experience on how well the open boudary conditions with
orlanski radiation  are working? I would like to study the
relaxation/spin-down of a solitary geostrophic eddy and from my initial
adjustment I get all sorts of odd processes near the open boundaries
(only "north" and "east"). I had hoped that the gravity waves would be
more or less radiated out of the domain, which they mostly do, but
there are strong vertical velocities near the open boundaries and
eventually, the (linear free) sea-surface height is affected (its mean
goes down by meters) and the solution diverges (explodes).

Any experience with this? Any ideas?

Martin

PS. this is my data.obcs
  &OBCS_PARM01